Tuesday, December 19, 2006

ice in the 50s?

Last night, I took Ryan to Nashville for a surprise. We waited in Barnes & Noble for 45 min. for a table at Macaroni Grill in Opry Mills (notice my table artwork). I think we went through at least 4 loaves of bread. =) Some of it did come home with us, though. After eating, we drove to the other side of the mall to the Gaslight Theater. After paying for the tickets, we were handed huge blue parkas and we headed inside.

The theater houses Ice!, a bunch of sculptures and formations entirely made of ice. The building was about 12 degrees Fahrenheit last night, but they advertise 9 degrees. Anyway, it was pretty cold.

The igloo Ryan's standing at is the beginning of the exhibit. I liked the "forest" with deer and bears ice fishing. There was even a waterfall!

After going through this tunnel of trees, we had some fun going down the ice slide on the other side. From what I can tell, there wasn't any other structural support for the slides besides the ice blocks. What was really interesting was the wiring for lights that went through the ice walls. It looked like real walls with electrical outlets in them.


The slide wasn't very tall, but it was fun to slide down. I never went very fast because I was taking pictures while i slid! They had carpet at the bottom so you stop pretty fast once you're there. I had to stand behind a barrier to get this picture of Ryan coming down the first time. The guy at the bottom thought Ryan would knock me over. =)




I snapped a self-portrait on my second time down. The guy at the top was laughing at me for doing it.


By the time we left Ice!, it was about 8:45p, so we walked to the Opryland Hotel to look at the Christmas lights for a few minutes.

We probably weren't inside for more than 10-15 min. at the most. The water show wasn't really doing much and we never left the Delta area. We used the timer on my camera to snap this picture by the huge Christmas tree.

Tonight is the staff Christmas potluck dinner at Cornells' (former faculty). After that's over, I have to pack and get ready to leave tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

Ryan and Jaclyn 9:11 AM CST  

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! What a wonderful date planner you are Carrie. I bet Ryan loved the cold in there.

golftooter 10:57 AM CST  

That is a great way to get used to the cold we hope to have at Camp Au Sable!

We were suffering through about 74 degree temps at the time ourselves.

MJ 8:46 AM CST  

The ice sculpture pictures remind me of something like that, only in a naturally cold environment, we saw on Mont Blanc in France in '82. It was so "cool" :) I wouldn't have expected to ever find such stuff in NASHVILLE. What fun it musta' been. I love the picture of you two by the Xmas tree too. See you in a week or so in snow country - there BETTER be snow up there!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP