Saturday, September 22, 2007

1796-1996 - it was a long tour!

Well, summer is going out with a bang. It was near 90 and felt like hotter downtown. Ryan and I ventured down to the Tennessee Bicentennial Capitol Mall Park. It has lots of Tennessee state history and has a veterans' memorial.

One of the coolest things was an enormous timeline of TN historical events, medical breakthroughs, battles, quotes, etc.




The whole thing is granite and it stretches from one end of the park to another. It started with "billions and billions of years ago..." and went through the date when the wall was put in. Ryan took a picture of me taking the first picture.





I don't know what this part of the park was. It wasn't really labeled. Ryan laid down on the ground to make me look taller.






This is a very symmetrical WWII memorial.








The sky was an incredibly deep blue, at least for the hazy South. Near the railroad bridge that bisects the park, there are two clusters of Tennessee flags. I don't know why they need so many, but hey, it's their world.












I guess these are self-explanatory. You can see Ryan's technique here.


I guess I didn't downsize any pictures of the fountain to put on here. I was highly jealous of the little kids running around in the water. They were the only cool people I saw in the park.

One of the only things I knew about this park before going there was that there is a giant map of Tennessee on the ground. Ryan is standing in Georgia taking a picture of Collegedale.

Here's Sumner County, where I live. Highland Academy is actually on the map, north of Gallatin on 109.





And this is where I used to live in TN, near Johnson City. I don't know what our address was exactly, but I think it was near Gray. I'm pointing between Sulfur Springs (where dad was on the VFD) and Gray.






The steps up to the Capitol make good leading lines. We walked up to see the view from the little overlook. You can't really get a good aerial view of the park, because it's not high enough up.


I guess you can kinda see the park behind our heads. We're the important part anyway...

2 comments:

golftooter 2:46 PM CDT  
This comment has been removed by the author.
golftooter 2:46 PM CDT  

The school (Tri-City Elementary) was in Gray and we lived up the hill from the Fire Department in Sulphur Springs.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP