Wednesday, June 18, 2008

friday, june 6 - juneau

7:16a - picked up our first Alaskan pilot
12:00p - cloudy skies, light breeze; 54 degrees F
1:48p - safely docked in Juneau
10:04p - unmoored
10:18p - commence voyage to Skagway

We had fun with the rugs that were changed in the elevators every day. We have a picture of each one, except for Wednesday (sad considering we were on the ship for two Wednesdays!).

These killer whales were really fun to see. I never saw any again after this. A pretty large group of them swam by and I got some pictures from really far away.

Ryan spotted this humpback whale slapping his tail over and over on the water. My dad thought it must have been a giant beaver.

We arrived in Juneau and waited for the gangway to be set up

Juneau was the largest city we visited - its population is around 33,000.

We were the tallest "building" around!

We took a bus down to the Mendenhall Glacier, about 20 minutes away.

Ryan with the visitor center we never went in

Some nice people from our ship took this picture.

Arctic terns nest near the glacier, so a lot of the area was roped off. At least this bird knew where it was supposed to be.

This was the bluest glacier we saw - supposed to be an indication of more dense ice.

After the glacier, we hit Juneau's stores. I'm holding the mug I got Lindsey while I try out this moose hat.

I made friends with the locals while we went in search of cold medicine for me. I got a bad sore throat on Thursday and still haven't gotten over the cold.

0 comments:

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP