Saturday, June 20, 2009

do they go to the zoo? supposably.

On Tuesday after a great waffle breakfast by Linda Curtis, Ryan and I set out for the Toronto Zoo. Several of the exhibits had the animals out for one reason or another, but we got to see a few new ones for me. Here are some of the animals I liked. =]







rhino imitates hippo . . . complete with bubbles

artificial rain forest

hmm . . . cats being lazy . . . and I paid to see this?

too tall for my camera

tree kangaroo (I officially want one)

socially-awkward ibises

an arctic beauty, the snowy owl

golden lion tamarin monkeys

the photographer wearing . . . yes, a Jays shirt!

Back from the brink of extinction, captive breeding programs have helped the population of Przewalski's Horses rise back up into the hundreds. Pretty cool to see what Genghis Khan probably rode.

The zoo had neat exhibits for the animals that looked pretty close to where they might live in the wild. These goats had no trouble scaling the steep inclines.

I've seen a picture of Ryan in these tunnels as a kid. He remembered playing in them too. They're close to the mountain goat-like animal exhibits.

**UPDATE** I found it! I must have looked through that photo album 6 times before the picture finally caught my eye. Ryan was 8 and Amy was 5. It was taken on Sept. 13, '92

After the zoo, we headed deeper into Toronto (west from the zoo) to catch our second baseball game. The Jays were taking on the Angels and this time, I was a Jays fan.

We got to sit along the first base line and watch the Blue Jays' starting pitcher warm up this time. Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball if you ask most people. Rod Barajas is the Jays' catcher. Interesting to me is that Halladay wore Nike Shox cleats. Didn't think that was possible.

Here's a picture of Ryan at the game . . . What!?!
(Ok, I stole this from a photo album. MJ's note on the back says Oct. 26, '92 at SkyDome. Thought you'd like the flashback.)









The current-day shot of us in our seats. We were in a 200-level section that was divided in halves by hard seats and cushy seats. Ours were cushy seats.

This was very likely one pitch in one of Halladay's personal record-breaking 14 strikeouts. I actually took a whole series showing his wind-up and delivery, but you can imagine the rest.

This is the jumbotron during the 7th inning stretch. I snapped this picture because I thought Ryan would like to have it. I'm pretty sure this is his daily motto (and has served him through many rough seasons!).

I wasn't really all that interested in pictures of any of the Angels' players. I shot one of Vlademir Guerrero to show you whose home run ball Ryan caught in batting practice. I think the guy needs a haircut.

the view from our seats looking way down onto the field

the CN tower after dark illuminated by the computer-controlled LEDs

The Renaissance Hotel (who apparently need to invest in some light bulbs) is what makes up the windows you can see in center (centre?) field in the Rogers Centre.

1 comments:

Stephanie 3:54 PM CDT  

oh man I'm so jealous. that used to be my favorite zoo. Specifically the horse rides and the safari thing and of course Winston.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP