Sunday, October 15, 2006

we survived the cold!

Friday, I headed over to Corbin, KY to meet Ryan on his way down from Ohio to go camping. Jaclyn and Ryan drove up from Collegedale and so did Randy and Mary Jane. We all stayed on one site - the best one in the campground - that was on the edge of a cliff!

The four of us prepared for hiking Sabbath morning by testing out the playground equipment. We had to gear ourselves up after not having much quality sleep. We're not used to 29 degree weather. (I checked weather.com and that's what it said the temp was for both nights!)

We had to deal with pesky critters running around at night. The worst part is being able to hear them and not wanting to look and see what is out there! This raccoon was sunbathing out by the big lodge. The second picture is us standing on the ledge where we saw the raccoon.

This is Cumberland Falls. It's 125 feet wide and 68 feet tall. I got my stats from a magnet in the gift shop, so they must be true!

Our hike Sabbath took us past Cumberland Falls and out to this waterfall, called Eagle Falls. It was quite the steep walk and included lots of stairs. The views were worth it though.

The Heilmans at Eagle Falls and my friend the cat laying on a log

The sparks really flew every time Randy poked the fire. Jaclyn and I dragged a whole tree up the hill and Ryan K. cut it into pieces.

After looking at the falls from far away, we walked to the top of the falls. Ryan had fun skipping rocks along the edge of the river. You have to hold your mouth just right to get the most skips.

Ryan and Ryan shared a 27-person tent. (Ok, it was probably designed for about 6-8.)

Here you go mom, a picture of us worms hopping around in our sleeping bags.

See how close we were to the edge! Those leaves are the edge of the cliff. Jaclyn looks scared, don't you think?

This is Ryan following me on the road out when we went to Subway for lunch. I took the picture out the sun roof! : )

4 comments:

Surfs Up 9:29 PM CDT  

It was a blast Carrie! I had a great time. I like the picture of the lazy raccoon sun-tanning! It will be fun to sleep in the warm low 60s in my apt. tonight!

Ryan

Anonymous 11:31 AM CDT  

What fun you had. It's great seeing all the pictures everyone got. It looks like a gorgeous place.

whisperer 5:18 PM CDT  

Two peas in pods? Looks like you had fun! Thats really a beautiful place to camp. I miss camping! I'm afraid my old bones wouldn't tolerate it any more. 29 degrees is nothing, dad & I camped out at 20 below zero in Wyoming! FYI it helps to put a cat in your sleeping bag to keep warm.

Glad you all had a chance to get together and have fun. Its a good thing MJ & Randy could go to keep you all under control.

MJ 7:48 PM CDT  

We tried - but some of the pictures we didn't post might make one wonder. . . :) We love being around these kids.

Be sure to notice the picture on my blog of Carrie fixing our gourmet Sabbath breakfast!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP