Sunday, November 02, 2008

la manzana grande

This was at about 6:00a in Times Square. The fluorescent items are our Today Show posters. We basically took a farther away subway stop just to walk through Times Square. Then we walked several blocks back to the Rockefeller Center area.


Sign seen on a building while we were walking. In case you thought you had money . . .


Arriving at the Today Show, we went through a pretty relaxed security screening where they scanned our posters for inappropriate content. We stood outside for about 30 minutes before Meredith and Matt came out. The blue thing in this picture moves up and down so they can show or hide the crowd in the background. Meredith turned around and waved at us the first time it went down.

This is the broadcast from the plaza. I was standing pretty close to Matt, so I was on TV for a little while. I also got in a panning shot of the crowd. I got to shake Matt Lauer's hand after they were done with their segment.

I put two pictures of me feeding squirrels at Battery Park because the left one's a better one of the squirrel and the right one's a better picture of me. The little weird guy with the glasses knows all the squirrels and brings a duffel bag of nuts.

After yet another airport-style security, we boarded a ferry for Liberty and Ellis islands. Steve told me where to stand to get good pictures as we came up to the island.

Some guy with a D-SLR offered to take this picture. I always like when those kinds of people offer because I assume they know what they're doing.










What can I say . . . I was inspired.










This is me and the Wall Street bull. Pit's open!!!








Sometime after walking down Wall Street, we ate at the South Street Seaport (a mall), then took the subway to Central Park. This is our group looking from the overlook of a castle in Central Park. I don't know the significance of the castle.

Do your feet hurt yet? Well, mine did by this point in the trip. After leaving Central Park, we took the subway to Grand Central Station. Then, we walked a long way again to somewhere near 5th Ave. to go up the Empire State Building. That involved standing in a huge line to go through yet another airport-style security screening. The elevator was really fun, skipping up 10 floors at a time (on the display, not in actuality).

One of my pictures from the top of the building. The Brooklyn bridge are to the left, Verrazano (sp.) Narrows bridge to New Jersey top middle, and the Statue of Liberty at the top right. Can you see it?

This concludes New York! Now go rest your feet.

1 comments:

MJ 8:51 PM CST  

Wow - I love your account of your fly-by-night tour of the big apple. It brings back memories of the senior class trip we accompanied just over a year ago, April of '07. Fun and exhausting all at once as I recall as well!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP