Thursday, March 23, 2006

news from the capitol steps

Lindsey and I had fun running around the Mall area of D.C. yesterday. We went to the National Museum of American History. They took out the big pendulum that used to be in the center of the museum. The original flag is down so they can work on it too. The upstairs was probably the coolest part. They have a big exhibit about the wars the US has been involved in. It was really well done. There was an interesting exhibit on transportation on the first floor too.

We got really hungry after a while and headed over to Union Station to eat lunch. Then we walked over in front of the Capitol building and went to the Botanical Gardens. They had lots of really cool orchids and bromeliads (pineapple family). It was also a lot warmer in those greenhouses, so that felt good.

After we left the greenhouse, it was time to start heading back to beat the rush hour crowd on the Metro, so we walked along the other side of the Mall. We encountered a very outgoing squirrel who thought that my plastic bag meant that I had squirrel food for him. Lindsey touched his tail as he ran away once and it came back and sniffed her finger later. I thought it was going to jump on us!

For supper, we had really good pesto & feta cheese pizza and came back here to watch Bones and Lost. I stayed awake long enough to see at least half of CSI: New York too, but didn't make it through the end.

Lindsey has to go to a meeting at work, so we'll be kind of relaxing from being tourists. I'm going to keep reading the books for my directed study and try to totally finish the first one. Maybe I can finish the second one on the plane ride back to Nashville. We'll see. I'm not sure if it's really Sabbath reading anyway.

Well, that's the news from Columbia. Pictures to follow later, when I can reduce the sizes and also my upload time!

0 comments:

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP