Saturday, October 07, 2006

morning walk

Today is as nice as a fall day can get. I went outside this morning around 7:45 and watched all different kinds of birds on campus. I went over near the trail that leads to Don & JP's house and saw lots of warblers, a couple of catbirds, cardinals, lots of white-throated sparrows, carolina wrens, chickadees, titmice, and a rose-breasted grosbeak. I finally had to leave there because I was getting cold standing in the shade.

This is what I'm pretty sure was the rose-breasted grosbeak. it looked kind of like a female, but had the red on it's throat and chest. I think it must be immature.






I saw quite a few yellow-bellied sapsuckers out in the woods too. I got a picture of two males fighting over a tree.

I also saw and heard red-bellied woodpeckers, but wasn't ever close enough to take a picture.






I like having white-throated sparrows around and these were the first I've seen here. I like listening to their call. I think my apartment is too far away from the woods to ever see these in my yard.





I like these little "cabins" they use for campmeeting. They're about 10'x12' I guess, and are in a row down the road. I've never gotten to see the inside of one, but I probably have a key that opens them! There are also concrete pads for tents on the hill too. All of this is behind the gym and boys' dorm. There are lots of big, pretty trees back in the campmeeting area. Today I found a stream too.

After I jumped across the stream, I finally got to the big sycamore tree in the field next to Butler Rd. It's really huge! There were lots of warblers in it too. During the rain two weekends ago, the boys' dorm came down and slid down the gradual hill into this field. **That would be the guys that slid down the hill, not the actual building!** Carlyle took pictures that are on HA's event pictures site if you want to see them.

Well, I've gotta get off of here so I can get ready for church and be down there in an hour!

3 comments:

Unknown 3:08 PM CDT  

you would have so much fun birding over here.... :) some of my favorites are the tui, the pukeko (really dumb looking ground bird), magpie (they're really pretty here!) and the wood pigeon. the wood pigeon is this enourmously fat bird with a massive white breast that looks like it could never make it off the ground. when it flies, you can hear it flapping a mile away. you should look it up. :) have a good sabbath!

golftooter 3:50 PM CDT  

I had to reread that last section over about three times. I was worried that the dorm had slid down the hill until I figured out you were talking about the occupants, not the building.

Wish we had all those birds here. It would be fun to go birding with you again.

Anonymous 3:56 PM CDT  

I miss bird watching a little. That used to be about the only thing my family did on Sabbaths. On another note, too bad its not as easy to tell the difference between immature people as it is birds? That would be fantastic if it was possible!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP